Discussion Essay Samples:
Discussion Essay Requirements:
[NOTICE]: This discussion essay requirement and grading information supplements the official syllabus.
- For each discussion meeting (a total of NINE meetings), students MUST prepare a critical question and answers based upon their readings.
- Your discussion essays should start with a question of your own and then should be followed by discussions.
- Ask a question on the interesting, contradictory, confusing aspects of the reading.
- When you provide answers, try to present your own arguments or thoughts and to avoid a summary of the readings. Make sure that you used the assigned readings to support your arguments.
- In addition, try to raise a broader historical question and to relate your question and answers to the main themes of the reading, films and history of US military issues.
- Refer to the sample essay posted at jjaelee.com.
- Students are expected to submit a hard copy of their one-page TYPED question/answers, either single or double-spaced, at the beginning of each discussion meeting.
- Late papers will receive a lower grade.
- Each essay is worth ten points.
Movie Essay Requirements:
- Students also write a critical review essay on TWO films that we watch in class.
- Students are expected to submit their one-page, typed question/answers, either single or double-spaced, for each film by May 8, 2014.
- The format of this requirement is identical to that of discussion essays.
- Each movie essay is worth five points.
- This assignment will count for the 20 percent of the total grade.
- Your first essay on the handout will be an exercise. You will receive feedback from the instructor.
- All essays are worth ten points.
- The instructor uses a numeric point system.
- If your essay presents a thoughtful, critical, or interesting question AND discussion, you will receive ten points.
- If your essay presents either a good question OR discussion, you will receive nine or eight points.
- If your essay is good overall but short (less than one paragraph), you will receive seven or six points.
- If your essay discusses issues outside of the main theme of the reading, you will receive five or less points.